October 5, 2014

Pet Portraits

As you may remember, my sweet dog, Connor, was painted by my friend, the artist, Sam Robinson, earlier this summer. I love the picture and adore Sam, so this is a present and picture that I will treasure forever. IMG_4378

Sam is having a show of his pet portraits at Halcyon House Antiques, beginning Saturday, October 11th. And he’s accepting commissions for portraits of man’s (or woman’s) best friend to be completed in time for the Christmas holidays. IMG_4364

Sam spends time with the dogs, getting to know them and their personalities, and takes pictures to help recall their spirits while he’s painting. Then he heads to his studio and starts the painting. IMG_4375Sam is a master at catching the spark in the dog’s eye, the shading of his coat, and the particular angle at which the dog holds his paw or cocks his head. IMG_2733Sam’s style is referred to as Expressive Realism, and with simple and effective brushstrokes, he grasps the essence that makes the dog so special to its owners.IMG_4371

In addition to Sam’s paintings, Halcyon House Antiques will have some of my friend Rebecca Vizard’s BViz Fortuny dog collars and leashes. These are seriously gorgeous and your dog will be so unbelievably chic wearing one of these.

They come in sizes from extra small to extra large, so there’s one to fit your dog.IMG_4385

Come on out to Halcyon House, starting Saturday, or join us for a drink on Friday evening. I’d love to see you, and I know you will love Sam’s portraits… IMG_4386

And seriously, it’s not too early to think about shopping for the holidays!

15 comments:

  1. Love the painting and I might have to think about getting my brother's dog painted. Such a special dog as it is the family's first but Connor is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's a doll. And a portrait would be a great present for your brother!

      Delete
  2. Just seeing Connor's portrait makes me smile. Such a love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see pet portraits and was so thrilled when Sam painted Connor!
    A Fortuny dog or cat collar would be quite the thing to get a pet lover for a gift!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen the top picture before and love that one, too!

      Delete
  4. Connor looks so handsome. Fortuny dog collars and leashes!! To die for.
    Have a great week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time we opened another batch of the collars, we found a new favourite!

      Delete
  5. love the picture of connor + one lucky girl you are. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I didn't see the first painting of Connor - the study - that evening. Darn! Too bad we are in Maine this weekend :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connor is just great - what a wonderful painting. I had a yellow lab - Babe - she was my best buddy, I still miss her. Even with all the hassles - cleaning up throw-up, the occasional accident, throw pillows eaten, chair legs chewed, always having to put a cover over the sofa, boarding, its all worth it - dogs bring so much love & comfort to us. I have a Dachshund and a little mixed terrier now ( both around 10 years old) and they are just a mess, both neurotic as hell - keep me on my toes for sure - but I love them dearly! Love those collars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for mentioning the B Viz Canine Couture Collars and Leashes of Fortuny! Connor makes a fabulous model if I may say so myself! What a Haute Dog!!! Hope they have a great show!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.