December 13, 2012

The Infamous Eggnog Recipe!

I have a party to go to, and it was suggested that I might bring along some of my infamous Baltimore Eggnog, so I agreed and decided to make it the day before. It needs to age a bit, so the flavours mix and mingle, and it also needs to be well-chilled.

It all starts with a dozen eggs, well the egg yolks of the eggs. I hold the whites out, and save them to whip and float on the top of the eggnog. Or make meringues.Then add the sugar to the yolks and whizz together. I added a bit of vanilla bean sugar to the sugar, just to deepen the flavours a bit. Then add the liquids.  This is before I added the booze. And this is after! (I changed the light filter on the shot below, so it doesn’t look as yellow)To keep the eggnog chilled, I made some ice cubes from the remainder of the milk, as well as some more of the vanilla sugar. Doing this prevents the eggnog from being watered down, but keeps it chilled.

Luckily, I have a punch bowl this year, but my host also has one, so I will avail myself of his, and not lug mine down to the party.

Baltimore Eggnog

12 eggs, separated
2 cups of superfine sugar (I used about a cup + a little bit)
1 pint of brandy
½ pint of light rum
½ pint of peach brandy (the secret ingredient)
3 pints of milk
1 pint of heavy cream

Beat the egg yolks and the sugar together until thick. Slowly stir in the brandy, rum, peach brandy, milk and heavy cream. Pour into a punch bowl and chill thoroughly. Beat the egg whites until just stiff and fold gently into the eggnog. Grate a little nutmeg on top and serve in 4-ounce punch cups.

And of course, enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. I love a recipe with a secret ingredient . Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg,yep it wouldn't be a holiday without what my family calls my "killer eggnog"! Actually I use the recipe from a Colonial Williamsburg cookbook. In addition to the brandy and bourbon that it calls for, I add a little Southern Comfort and some peach schnapps. This year I'm going to try your secret ingredient! Sounds yummy and we will all be in the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peach brandy is hard to come by, Bonnie. But try Beltway Liquors, they have everything!

      Delete
  3. Hello...are you still there?! Hope you're feeling in the pink.

    I'm assuming this recipe is for more than two or three.

    Sounds far too wicked for serious comtemplation. Rather like a dry martini. Two are my limit at most etc etc:

    http://corcol.blogspot.com/2009/07/martin-eyes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally rousing myself from the eggnog induced coma! The recipe is for a gallon, so in four oz cups, that's uh... a lot.

      Since it's only once a year, I will risk it!

      Delete
  4. Sounds absolutely delicious Meg, must try this. As you know, we don't get egg nog in the stores in this country, you have to make it yourself.
    Thanks!
    Di
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead simple to make. I think you would use double cream for the heavy cream.

      Your Scotland trip was fun to go along with! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. Great recipe! Will this be adequate for a party of 20, or so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be fine. Serve in 4 oz cups. It's pretty potent. And a lot of people won't drink it, so there's more for those who love it!

      Delete
  6. forgot to add: your ice cubes from milk is genius, genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eggnog!!!! My favorite Christmas treat. Wish I could be at the party. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Grandmother use to make Eggnog each Christmas Eve when I was growing up. I think this is about the same recipe. Thanks xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Punchbowls I love punch bowls. always on the look out for great looking punchbowl. What does your punchbowl look like meg? Science friday on NPR had a story about egg nog and what grows in it and how a really aged eggnog tested clean and science attributed the alcohol content to the lack of any pathogens bad bodies?? perhaps the story is archived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds delicious. I'm sick in bed right now - maybe I should drink a quart of that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMO. I put up one for White House Eggnog. I need to add both to my food blog. This sounds really good. Like your other reader, I have been fighting bronchitis for four weeks now. I should drink a gallon of this and kill whatever bugs are left. I just finished reading a history book on punch, and he mentions the rarity (now) of peach brandy but says one company in California is making it again. I say it's worth seeking out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.