July 25, 2012

Bits & Bobs

The Olympic Opening Ceremonies are just a day away, and in the true spirit of the games, the Guardian has published a game so that you can play along at home. Yes, it’s OLYMPIC OPENING CEREMONY BINGO! This may be played like real bingo, or as a drinking game. Olympic-Opening-Ceremony--001

We’ll have the Opening Ceremony on in the background, I am sure, on my old rabbit-eared television, if I can get it to have any channels other than the snow channel. But since I’ll be entertaining another blogger that evening, it surely won’t be the focus of the night.

Loi Thai, from Tone on Tone is coming up from DC for a small summer supper (casual, so not dinner!). imageHe’s such a huge talent that I am a little freaked out about having him to the house. All I can do is think of are the immortal words from the movie, Wayne’s World… “I am not worthy.” And then plan to spend the next 48 hours completely making over the house and gardens. Ha!

Speaking of gardens, we’re going to do a wander over to the gardens at Cylburn Arboretum just a mile or so from my house, before supper. Loi’s very interested in gardens, and this city park garden is filled with specimen plants from all over the world. You might remember Cylburn from here and here. Click the image below to see a little film shot at Cylburn.image

Kim, my dear friend and sponsor from Hooker Furniture, forwarded me a blog post that resonated with me. It talked about an article from Apartment Therapy about taking a curated approach to decorating. “Quirky Curators” and “Home Hackers” are today’s trendsetters according to Apartment Therapy. People are creating a highly curated mix of items in their homes, a look which celebrates their individualism. It’s a personal evolution, changing not with trends and fashions, but your own whims.When I moved back to the States, I literally had nothing… well, nothing except two suitcases filled with clothes, a couple of boxes shipped back from Wales, some copper pots and pans from France and a six-foot long commercial kitchen counter. My curated look consisted of doing what the article said: going to yard sales, tag sales, checking craigslist and buying one piece at a time until I’d assembled a house full of things that each resonated with me. Each and every piece in my house has a story, and almost none of these pieces came from a traditional furniture store. I’ve collected, and yes, curated, these pieces to make my house reflective of my quirky personality and tastes. I am thrilled to know that, for this moment at least, I am a trendsetter!

26 comments:

  1. Ah Cylburn...I went to a Saturday morning program there one winter during grammar school and have nice memories of it.

    Like you, I came back from London ten years ago with my.suitcases and little.else. It is amazing what I have amassed in the past decade, every single.thing with a story and all of it quirky, quirky, quirky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cylburn is great. But I think it's going to be 100* tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Hi Meg,
    You would have been excited here yesterday. The first Olympic competition commenced yesterday at the millennium stadium, two days before the opening ceremony, I blogged pictures.

    An evening with Loi, how lucky. I only recently became blog friends with him through one of your recommendations, but he is wonderful, always commenting and keeping in touch. He seems such a warm individual. He must be so busy I too feel unworthy when he visits my bleurgh!

    I bet your amassed items are all beautiful and reflect your world beautifully. You have done it the right way, slowly and surrounding yourself with things you love and have a story. Have a wonderful evening.
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could have been with you, puttering up the Taff!

      C'mon over and see the things I've amassed! There's still room.

      Delete
  3. I have a small collection of Gustavian and Swedish Empire pieces, so I really appreciate Loi Thai's aesthetic. I know you'll have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too ADD to stick with one look, but Loi's things are gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. Meg you have put words to my sentiments! It's nice to jazz things up a bit with accessories to create new interest but personally, I'm so tired of seeing some of the overly trendy Designer rooms - Ikat, Chevron, blah,blah blah... and then here come the mid-century moderns, the "chippy", blah, blah, blah! I know there is a place for everything, but, I am with you, and believe a person's decor should reflect who they are and not just what happens to be vogue in the design world . That being said, there are some very talented designers, blogger/crafters/ DIYers out there and so to each his own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine does. Even when I moved back and there was barely anything in my house, it still had enough of me in there to reflect who i am.

      xo

      Delete
  5. I love really personal, original decor. I find that I am consciously avoiding trends these days unless it is something I can picture myself living with as a little old lady, many years from now.
    Have fun with Loi. He is a charming guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a super evening with Loi. I love his shop, blog and overall style. I wish that I could limit myself to one design theme or look. But I LOVE IT ALL!!!!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meg:Most people/clients have a little bit of that & a little bit of this in their homes + the trick becomes making it look enjoyable not trendy! I have a feeling that is your strong suit ...making it feel enjoyable in everyway. Isn't that what it is all about? Enjoy your guest. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of this and that without making look too junky, too!

      Delete
  8. Meg - Tom and I are so looking forward! You are very generous to have us. We've never been to Clyburn's.......will be a wonderful treat. Casual = perfect....wearing jeans ;-)
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wear something cool. If it's too hot, we'll sit around the computer and watch the opening ceremonies.

      Delete
  9. I suspect you two will be like kindred spirits and it will be a most enjoyable evening! I like what you said that "Each and every piece in my house has a story" -- mine too, but probably not as interesting as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meg - I just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your blog! I've had it bookmarked for a while, but started reading today...and it will be a daily stop in my travels across the 'net!

    I'm also in Baltimore, so it's interesting to me to read about buildings and places I know.

    Thank you - and I look forward to "visiting" often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! I hope that you'll learn some things about Baltimore while you're here.

      Delete
  11. I am totally playing that game Friday night!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I learned "quirky curating" and "home hacking" from my grandmother, who loved beautiful things but didn't have the money to buy so she made do with what she could find or sew or build herself! She always had the most interesting things, and put a hammer in my little hands when I was five.
    I don't know any other way to do it, because I find most new furniture and "decorated" rooms quite boring. I love the tag "quirky curator" though, and accept it happily!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.