November 6, 2011

Weekend Update + A Winner + More!

It was a gorgeous weekend here and I took some time on Saturday to drive up into the country north of the city. Because of the winding roads, I didn’t manage to take any pictures.  However I did stop by Halcyon House to see what was new and I will share that with you later this week.IMG_6506

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The winner of the Billy Baldwin book is Mary at MJH Design Arts. Pop me your address, Mary and I will send the book out shortly. I loved Mary’s comment:

For me, I think it was his global aesthetic that hooked me early on. I do have one regret--A couple of years ago I bought a pair of great stools/benches. I knew that I recognized the fabric, but couldn't place it and I asked everyone I knew or who came into the shop that I thought might know--no luck.BB Xbenches The day after I got them back from the upholsterer, I found the fabric--of course the benches were BB in their original (at that point dingy) BB brown exotic chintz fabric..... Thanks. Mary

The book is a consolation prize for missing the BB fabric on the benches! She’ll get a good education on BB’s fabrics from the pages of BB Decorates!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On November 13, Baltimore’s extraordinary Garrett-Jacobs Mansion will be hosting the second in a series of lectures about the house, which was designed by McKim, Mead & White, as well as John Russell Pope. The Lecture will provide an overview of the Aesthetic Movement in America with its antecedents in England and France. Many New York Decorative Arts firms, who were important in this movement, contributed as subcontractors to the Mansion. For information, click here.stage

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday took an unexpected turn after a rollicking breakfast with the Chefs and David from McLain Wiesand. David and I decided to go check out an auction. We weren’t expecting much as it was the warehouse sale of a local auctioneer – stuff that hadn’t sold at previous auctions. However, we both managed to find a good number of things – keep an eye on my Etsy shop – and I even bought an OLK knock-off!

Remember a few months ago when I laughed at the jar of old wooden spools?OKL 1[3] I was able to duplicate this look for just pennies – I bought a whole sewing kit, stocked with dozens of spools, with gorgeous mercerized cottons and lush silks still on them and I think that I paid $2.50 for the whole kit and kaboodle!IMG_6517The colours are just so beautiful and bright. I can’t wait to use them on some projects.

IMG_6513 IMG_6515
I have a very exciting announcement later this week – probably more exciting for me than for you, but I can’t wait to share it, regardless!

7 comments:

  1. The thread may not be suitable for sewing. Wooden spools have not been made in years and thread deteriorates over time. You can reel off the outer layer and test the inner layer. Take off a length and pull it between your hands to see how easily it breaks. If it breaks easily, just leave the spools in the jar and enjoy the beautiful colors.
    The thread might not be strong enough for construction, but may be used to decorate the top of your fabric with decorative hand stitches. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my stash of sewing thread. I've 'rainbow-ised' mine and they are a pleasure to see even when not in use. I am weirdly sentimental about the empty spools (but not $55 worth). Some of the brands - and the prices! - will never be seen again. Also, most of my stash belonged to my Mom and my Aunt Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of keeping these in a glass jar. So charming. I have my grandmother's wooden spools and I love looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother's spools of colored thread are one of my favorite things. Very curious about your news -hope. to see you Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Kay... thanks SO much for the good advice. I'd hate to start something only to find that the seams aren't holding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meg, I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!! I won! I won! I won!!!!! Thank you so much--this definitely makes my month--an early Christmas!! I love the spools--it is almost impossible to find good thread now--who would have guessed that such a humble items would become so dear? Have a wonderful week! (BTW--auctions like the one that you went over the week-end are some of the best treasure troves ever). Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I have a small hoarde of ancient silk thread that belonged to my husband's grandparents, who were tailors. I know the thread isn't in any condition to sew with, but the lustre of the fibers and the vintage character of the spools keeps me from tossing them. Now I just need to find the perfect glass jar, and I can display them as an "accessory" in my sewing room. Hah!

    (The funny thing is that my sewing room currently resembles a landfill, and instead of searching for the floor and straightening things up, I'm thinking about ACCESSORIZING instead...)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.