November 27, 2011

A Tasteful Tag Sale

I got a message yesterday that my long-time friends, Becky & Andrew were having a tag sale today. As Becky put it, “What we are selling is stuff that Andrew brought over from Scotland - Leather hat cases, wooden boxes, toys, train set…” How in the world could I resist that?

So this morning, after I baked this (an Apple/Currant/Raisin Danish):Tag Sale  1I hopped in the car and drove down to the waterfront neighbourhood where Becky has had her architectural practice. The building she owns is from the 1800s and was originally a stable/carriage house. Tag Sale  28She’s converted part of it for offices and uses the other part for parking and storage.  Before Becky bought the building, it was used as studio space for all of John Waters’ early films.

When I arrived to find a mannequin seated on a sofa on the sidewalk, I knew I was in the right spot. There were loads of fun items, and as soon as I spotted this, Tag Sale  15I had to call David Wiesand and tell him to come ASAP, which, of course, he did! Who can resist a top hat or a bowler hat, in their original custom leather boxes?  Here’s the bowler box empty, Tag Sale  2and with the hat in it. Tag Sale  4And the top hat box with the hat snug inside it. This is the top hat Andrew’s father wore at one of the Royal Garden Parties in the 1930’s. Tag Sale  8It still has the original invitation ticket tucked in the bottom of the box.Tag SaleI love seeing the old travel stickers on the luggage, and it’s fun to imagine all of the train trips this family took.

Tag Sale  5 Tag Sale  10
Another delightful find was the amazing linings that the old leather cases hid inside,
Tag Sale  12 Tag Sale  14

and how well these leather bags have held up over the past 60-80 years!Tag Sale  11We had fun playing with some of Andrew’s old board games, card games, and tiddlywinks!Tag Sale  31

Okay, I know you want to know what I bought… Just a few little things.tag sale 46A little china baby, a spoon with a sphinx headtag sale 44 and a tiny pencil sharpener advertising Virol, a malt and bone marrow extract for children.

I found a very interesting card game called “Contraband”, with cards and play money. Someone acts as the customs agent and the players try to sneak contraband between London and Paris. tag sale 34One of the contraband items is nylon stockings! I think it would be fun to frame the cards with the contraband showing and then one with the front of the card.

Becky and Andrew kindly gave me a huge driving map of the UK, which I will hang in my workroom, after I do a little work on it!

If you are interested in any of the items, which include lots of 78-rpm records, (look, the 99%)Tag Sale  30please e-mail Becky here.

11 comments:

  1. That's beyond a tag sale that's A TAG SALE.

    OMG, what wonders. My checking account is glad I wasn't there but my acquisitive heart is broken.

    Give Connor a big achoo from me.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leather luggage--I want each piece!! Have a great week. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I would have been thoroughly entertained just by looking at all of their wares! Some incredible items they parted with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your emotions in your blog are completely honest to you and your friends/readers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sale!!!!! You find the best places and how about that Danish!!!! I am not sure I could go to a tag sale after making such
    a masterpiece. Would you consider
    sharing the recipe. I'm thinking of baking for neighbors for Christmas. If I were not so old I think I would move to Baltimore. You have so much fun there. All we have are junky yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gorgeous! These little china dolls are from Germany and called Charlottes...
    Lovely spoon.
    What a sale, wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such a grand eye! A wonderful sale + thanks for sharing. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe they're getting rid of the top hat. There must be opportunities to wear one in Baltimore. I wear mine regularly . . . well, occasionally . . . well, once or twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that top hat and the leather box is FABULOUS!!

    What wonderful friends and a wonderful sale.

    Thanks for sharing all of those goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audible gasp ! on seeing the hats/boxes/complete-with-ticket collection! Yowza. And the contraband game? Bloody brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't have time to read this the other day. I just remembered that we used to sell hats when we had our antique business. I remember glueing old maps inside the bottoms of leather hat boxes - no top- to make waste baskets. Went to a terrific estate sale this weekend of a surgeon/big game hunter. Lots of adventure books, silver, and mounted heads. Even a black bear rug. A friend bought a deer head and an eland both of which are in our basement waiting for shipment. Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.