March 17, 2011

The World’s Most Expensive Dog???

I love Connor dearly, and he’s worth every penny I paid for him. But here’s the world’s most expensive dog, from the Guardian, which provided the hilarious commentary. This is a Tibetan Mastiff.Red-Tibetan-mastiff-Age: As a breed, ancient; in dog years, incalculable.

Appearance: Oversized plush toy, fresh from being washed and dried with a Manchester United jersey.

Funny looking lion. That's because it's a dog.

Cute, though. How much for one of them? One million pounds.

A million! What's it made of? It's a dog. It's made of dog.

You mean that thing is real? Yes. He's Hong Dong (meaning "big splash"), an 11-month-old red Tibetan mastiff who was recently bought by a Chinese coal baron for 10m yuan (£945,000), making him the world's most expensive dog.

What's the world's second most expensive dog? Another Tibetan mastiff called Red Lion was valued at £915,000 last year.

Inflation, that's what it is. Perhaps, but Hong Dong has been described as a perfect specimen, and should be able to command stud fees of up to £10,000 a go.

Sounds like a business I should get into. Can I borrow a million quid? I'll get it straight back to you. In Britain, alas, Tibetan mastiff puppies sell for less than £1,000.

Why do people want these giant red dogs in the first place? They're considered holy and rather auspicious. Tibetans believed them to be the reincarnated souls of monks and nuns.

What else? For a million quid, there must be something else. Well, they're meant to be good with children.

Unless it can drive them to school, I'm not interested. Actually, even if it can I'm not interested. It seems that in China the breed has become something of a status symbol among the super-rich, a trend that has driven up prices.

I'm guessing they're also quite expensive to run. They do eat a lot. Tibetan Mastiffs have been known to reach 20 stone (280 lbs). And they live rather a long time, up to 14 years.tibetanmastiff

Do say: "Fetch boy! Fetch up to £10,000 per lady-visit, and quick!"

11 comments:

  1. It does look a bit like clipped chenille.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, but not for the price. And can you imagine a 280 lb dog if not trained well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I love Connor dearly, and he’s worth every penny I paid for him."

    Hehe. He was a pound doggy, no? That makes him priceless. Ditto for all the creatures who have found their way into my home (and heart).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been so busy this month that I've rarely had time to write blog stories much less read any. But I wanted you to know that I was here.

    ADG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary! I love dog, but not to that extend! Thinking of the money and where it should go....

    ReplyDelete
  6. i bet that dog breaks a lot of wind. and then imagine how much you would have to pay in scented candles and air fresheners all over the house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not to mention the size of the scoop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ridiculous. There are people starving in the world and people are paying that kind of money for a dog. A dog, people. A dog. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.