December 1, 2010

I’ll Take This… Cottage in Somerset

Normally a large, renovated four-bedroom farmhouse in 1.5 acres would fetch up to £650,000, somerset1 but this house is empty and the price has been slashed to £575,000 to encourage a speedy sale. somerset5 It’s part of Low Ham, an ancient unsullied village and has two large reception rooms, a kitchen/dining room, (with an Aga in the corner!)somerset3 study and a self-contained studio off the detached garage.somerset2 I would totally have to do something about the colour in the bath!somerset4 Aside from that, it looks like a great house, full of light and in a great location. Details here.somerset6 I think this is what we think of when we talk about a charming English cottage, don’t you?

7 comments:

  1. License plate on the wall MIGHT be a deal-breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It strikes me that the layout downstairs is rather odd. The only way to get to the formal drawing room, for example, seems to be to walk through the dining room, through the kitchen and then through the sitting room. The sitting room can't be accessed directly from the hall, either. Usually English cottages have at least one reception room that opens directly onto the hallway so that visitors can be shown straight into a comfortable room without being taken through the potentially messy 'family' parts of the house. If that were my place, I'd be moving a few walls! But it *does* look pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell hard for this despite its quirks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has the some of the same feel as "The Holiday" house,no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The exterior is fantastic but the interior layout is a bit questionable. I think I could work around it though! Nice property!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be perfect for "Central Bark Designs" - LOVE the studio off the garage - just wish it were somewhere between Baltimore and NY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The layout would definitely be odd if this had been built as a single dwelling, but the extra stairs, the varying thickness of the external walls & the slight change in color of the roof tiles make me wonder if it didn't start out as two separate houses--one of them L-shaped--which were later connected with a new back wall having wider windows than the originals. When Beverly Nichols bought the architect John Borie's cottage after his death, I think he found three stairways--a result of the same kind of accretion. Either way, I'd be glad to have this place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.