October 13, 2010

A Happy Ending

Along with the rest of the world, I am giving thanks that each of the 33 Chilean miners were freed from their confinement underground for more than two months. This is a story with many heroes and it is to many people’s great credit that these men survived this ordeal. waitingThe Guardian has a slide show of each of the miners, their role underground and their immediate reaction upon returning to the earth’s surface. Click here to view.

As I lay in bed last night, listening to the BBC’s coverage, I was in tears hearing the story of Mario SepĂșlveda, the second miner to come to the surface. Mario SepĂșlveda He brought with him small pebbles from the cave as presents for his wife, the President of Chile and some of the rescuers. What an extraordinary person he must be to think of others at such a time.

Small gestures can be enormous.

7 comments:

  1. Yes I've been watching it as well and cheering with everyone else each time the capsule descended, each tme it rose, each time a miner got out of it. I can't imagine what must have been going through their minds all these days of waiting. Now we just need to get all the rescuers out of the mine and back on solid ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up early to see the latest news report...yes, all 33. I let out a big sigh and I smiled to myself standing there in the darkness. A perfect start to the day.

    I did not know about the pebbles...truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - but they were not "pebbles" but sizable chunks of rock - as seen on CNN International. I was surprised that he was allowed to bring them up with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thirty-three human miracles; the miracle of one entire planet united in prayer for their safe return to their families. Once again, corporate greed is the agent of catastrophe--and unity of purpose the agent of redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many prayers answered! Truly miraculous. I am SO claustrophobic, I cannot IMAGINE how they stood it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, i had tears too! hooray for Chile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously Anon? Pebbles vs. Rocks?

    Thanks for posting this Meg. A true miracle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.