June 23, 2010

Hot as the Hinges of Hell!

It’s 10 p.m. and it’s still 90 degrees outside! The humidity’s high, too, so it’s really miserable. But it was just a few months ago that we were buried under many feet of snow.

One of the secrets to keeping cool in weather like this is to wear lots of natural fibers. I am very partial to linens and light cottons. A friend used to say “Linen makes the party”, which was really about entertaining. linen_tweed_thumbBut I like to think that wearing nice linens put you in a party mood.

Wearing linen in the summer just feels right. A dress like the one below is great because it doesn’t cling to you at all and lets the air circulate. If you’re in air conditioning, you can just throw a pashmina or light scarf around your shoulders.LinenDress I love wearing linen trousers in either black or white. I try not to have lined linen trousers, but if you’ve got white linen, they should be lined. linentrousers I like wearing a loose linen shirt over the trousers, usually un-tucked for a more casual look.

Linenshirt Linenshirt2

With a plain top and either black or white trousers, I can wear bright jewelry, usually beads or an interesting necklace, and fun shoes like these colourful Moroccan slippers below!linenslippers What’s your favourite thing to wear in the summer?

13 comments:

  1. Linen is all that I wear, after the wool is stored away. Love it. And those slippers are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a friend...Tomorrow, as the mercury is expected to climb into the upper 90s and a heat index of more than 100 is predicted. Add in an expected 10-mph to 15-mph wind that could gust up to 25 mph, and walking outside Thursday could feel "like a glass furnace," according to Bryan Jackson, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Sterling, VA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so incredibly sexy about a woman in linen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is simple but very nice for woman. I think linen is made for women. It shows the true beauty and sexy of a woman. I think it is very comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is hot....and not loving the prospect of being 6+ months pregnant through the DC summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Moroccan slippers are fabulous, Meg. But what the fashion catalogues never show you is how rumpled those cool linen trousers will look after just 20 minutes of sitting or sweating. (Or, in this weather, both!)

    Lemonade, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please tell me where I can buy a pure linen gathered round table cloth? I have tried everything I know to find one on the internet.
    thanks,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed with Susie, those beautiful objects need ironing right? And well, handling a hot iron in this heat sort of negates the coolness of the linen! Love the Moroccan slippers though! I was lucky enough to visit Fez on my honeymoon. I brought a gorgeous pair of lime green slippers back for my friend down near you in Germantown and her dog ate them...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't care if it's rumpled. I wear linen when I want to look nice in the summer. Someday I'll splurge on linen sheets. They must be wonderful on a humid night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Balsam Fir... i have one that i found a few years ago at a thrift shop, mismarked as a table cloth. Look for it soon on my etsy shop, as I've never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wrinkles make me crazy, though.

    I wear long and loose dresses. Although I do have a brown linen dress I love. It kind of wrinkles all over so it looks somehow OK.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wear my white linen pants without a lining. Unless they start making pants lined with breathable fabric, I'm going to wear them unlined.

    I was down in New Orleans last weekend, where it's even more hot and humid than here, and I lived in my white Eileen Fisher linen pants. There completely shapeless but I don't care. They were a godsend down there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is "Hot as the Hinges on the Gates of Hell" - as yes, it is here in the Land of Pleasant Living.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.