November 29, 2009

Sunday in the City

One of the things I love about living in a city like Baltimore is that you continually see unexpected things. As we were leaving breakfast this morning, we heard bells pealing and bagpipes playing in the distance.

Today is St. Andrew’s Day, the national holiday of Scotland which is celebrated all over the world on November 30th. One of the churches in downtown Baltimore had a special service this morning in commemoration of the day. This was homecoming year for Scots all around the world to visit their homeland.St Andrews dayI spent a lot of time in Scotland when I lived in the UK and even considered living in Edinburgh, which is a wonderful city. My family has a lot of Scottish roots, so I feel very connected to the country. Plus, there’s nothing like a man in a kilt!  For a great Scot, check out fellow blogger Scot Meacham Wood who writes The Adventures of TartanScot.

Here’s a little video I took of the pipers parading through Baltimore this morning.

The December Elle Decor had a great article about some terrific tartan pieces for the winter, including this desk set from Williams-Sonoma Home.WS Home Tartan DeskI love tartan at the holidays!

4 comments:

  1. The only thing better than a man in a kilt - THE MAN in a kilt. Sir Sean Connery that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! That's just wonderful! and it never ceases to bring a tear to my eye.

    Cheers,
    Scot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I obviously have "Scots" in me- I adore tartan, wish I could claim one of the clans. GT

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father-in-law played the first Scottish Walk in Alexandria and only stopped when they moved down to Richmond. Gotta love bagpipes. And the way he kicked up his heels leading the guests upstairs at our wedding. I'm not sure our female guests believed the legend until that evening....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting on Pigtown*Design. I read each and every comment and try to reply if I have your e-mail address.